Horses to Hangers-Once a trotting park now an airport

Before the airport, there was the Mineral Spring Trotting Park established by the Mansfield Trotting Association, in 1869. Watching the races was a popular activity, and there were more than 40 horses stabled on the grounds.

In 1912, Florence Boltz bought the property. Sixteen years later, she turned it into an airport for her young daughter, Martha, and the airport became a mecca for aviation pioneers near and far. In 1942, the U.S. Navy acquired the site to train cadets to fly the Stearman (Boeing) Model 75 biplane. In 1943, Mrs. Martha Boltz was awarded the Harry F. Guggenheim Award for aviation achievement. In 1947, the Town of Mansfield acquired the land, and today it is a 230-acre airport with approximately 125 aircraft.